Providing Learning Support for Students with Mental Health Difficulties Undertaking Fieldwork and Related Activities
Preparation and Communication
Categories of logistic anxieties
- Transport and travel
- Include information on day and night temperatures, and exposure to sun, wind and rain.
- Footwear and clothing
- Luggage and equipment
- Money, passports and other documentation
- Including access to phone, email etc.
- Health and fitness
- Include information about the amount of walking/climbing that is required, and the length of the working day.
- Medical facilities
- Include details of the local medical facilities available, and a reminder of which staff are qualified first aiders. Remind students to bring adequate supplies of their own medication.
- Living and sleeping arrangements
- Give clear information, including the number of beds per room, and details of other shared facilities, including bathrooms.
- Food and drink
- Give information on the type of food available including any opportunities/requirements to purchase their own food (including likely cost). Indicate the frequency and timing of meals.
© Geography Discipline Network/authors, 2001
ISBN: 1 86174 117 0