Issues in Providing Learning Support for Disabled Students Undertaking Fieldwork and Related Activities
Creating an Inclusive Fieldwork Curriculum
Post field trip follow-up and assessment
- Should there be particular arrangements for students who have experienced particular difficulties to discuss how the experience could be made more effective in future?
- In particular were there particular issues regarding assessment that need to be addressed?
- Should there be staff discussions, including with student support officers, to discuss particular (unexpected) issues?
- Do staff and/or students now consider changes need to made to, for example, departmental policies (Box 21)?
Box 21: Some follow-up questions for the fieldcourse team and the department to consider
- Has the assessment allowed disabled students to demonstrate their level of learning appropriately?
- How might the experience of the disabled students undertaking fieldwork have been enhanced?
- Have the disabled students been given an opportunity to feedback their views on their experience?
- How is the fieldwork programme periodically evaluated to ensure a more inclusive curriculum, including meeting career/vocational needs of disabled students?
- How are course objectives progressively being adapted to become more inclusive?
© Geography Discipline Network/authors, 2001
ISBN: 1 86174 113 8